- People with walking problems are not advised to take this tour
- Instant confirmation
- You will immediately receive your vouchers in your e-mail
- Mobile vouchers are accepted
- A printed voucher is not required
- Informative, friendly and professional live guide
- English and Spanish
- Pick-up from a designated meeting point in Amsterdam
- Pick-up from Heineken Experience bus stop or This is Holland
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
Admire this historical, traditional and nostalgic scene of the famous Dutch Cheese market in the well-known city of Alkmaar. This tour highlights the typical Dutch.
People from all over the world come to visit the Dutch cheese markets to find out how cheese is traded according to a centuries old tradition. Watch the men in traditional clothing seal their bargains for the best cheeses by means of clapping hands. After the cheese market you’ll go into the city in search of the rich history accompanied by an informative, friendly and professional live guide. Let yourself be surprised by the diversity of Dutch cheeses.
Finish your day with a canal cruise through the famous canals of Amsterdam.
The Dutch cheese production is nowadays in the hands of dairy factories, which produce and export their cheeses around the world in millions of tonnes every year. The cheese markets of Alkmaar remind us of the days of a flourishing trade and have become popular tourist attractions today.
You’ll believe that you’ve stepped back in time when you visit the cheese market of Alkmaar.
Without a doubt, the Alkmaar cheese market is the main attraction in town. The tradition of this Cheese Market goes way back to 1365, as there was only one set of scales for weighing, cheese was traded on the Waagplein. The cheese was delivered early in the morning, and the cheese market masters and traders would check to see whether the cheeses had been well stacked. Up to 30,000 kilos, or 2200 whole cheeses, are lined up and waiting for customers.
Before enjoying some free time to discover the cheese market and the city on your own, embark on a brief guided walking tour through Alkmaar by an informative, friendly and professional live guide. You should never pass up an opportunity to see this colorful, folkloric spectacle!
Back in Amsterdam, your tour guide will give you your ticket for a regular City Canal Cruise. The voucher can be redeemed at the docks of Blue Boat Company- Gray Line Amsterdam. The ticket for your City Canal Cruise is a so called ‘open ticket’. This means that no time slot has been allocated and you can board any next available boat at one of the two following docks:
- The first dock is located at Stadhouderskade 501, opposite the Hard Rock Cafe. Take tram 1, 2, 5, 11 and 12 and get off at Leidseplein. From there, the dock is a 2 minute walk.
- The second dock is located at Stadhouderskade 550, opposite Heineken Experience. Take tram 2, 5,and 12 get off at Rijksmuseum. From there, the dock is a 5 minute walk or take metro no. 52 and get off at Vijzelgracht. From there, the dock is only a 2 minute walk.
- Departure from Amsterdam
- A 50 minute drive to destination
- 15 minute walk to Cheese Market
- Visit of Cheese Market
- Brief guided walking tour through the city
- 30/45 minutes of free time
- Departure back to Amsterdam
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Live commentary on board
- City Canal Cruise by Blue Boat Company
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Heineken Experience bus stop, Stadhouderskade 78. Wait on the side of the main entrance of the Heineken Experience, not on the water side.
- THIS IS HOLLAND, Overhoeksplein 51, opposite central station. How to get here: A free shuttle ferry to Buiksloterweg runs 24/7 from Amsterdam Central Station to the north shore of the river IJ. Journey time is three minutes. Embark via the two middle pontoons. On disembarking, turn left. It’s two minutes’ walk to THIS IS HOLLAND.
Please make sure you arrive well on time at your chosen starting point. Due to traffic regulations in Amsterdam our tour busses are not allowed to stop for a long time at the starting points. Please note: the return location of this tour is THIS IS HOLLAND, behind Amsterdam central station. No drop-off at the Heineken Experience).