Learn more about the atrocities of Nazi Germany on an interesting guided full day tour. During a guided walking tour in the historical city of s-Hertogenbosch you will get a taste of what it was like to live in a Dutch town during World War Two. In the afternoon we drive to Camp Vught National Memorial. You’ll visit the former SS camp (January 1943 – September 1944). During the audio guided tour you’ll be shown around the combined memorial centre, the museum, the memorial room, wall of reflection and see the horrific gas chambers.
After a 70-90 minutes drive from Amsterdam your first destination will be the city of ‘s-Hertogenbosch.
During the guided walking tour you’ll visit several places related to either the occupation or liberation. You will hear the stories of the people who had experienced it, as well as the stories of soldiers participating in the liberation of the city. Backed up with photographs, maps and visible traces of that period, you will gain an exclusive insight in what life was like in the 1940-1945 era.
After some free time for lunch you’ll drive to the Camp Vught National Memorial, during World War two was also called Konzentrationslager Herzogenbusch. Camp Vught holds a special Place in Dutch history of the Second World War. It was the only official SS concentration camp in occupied North – West Europe. The memorial and museum is located in a forest in Vught and is spread out over several buildings and outdoor areas. The watchtowers, which were built a hundred meters apart, have been reconstructed. The barrack is rebuilt at half the original size, shows how the prisoners lived. The Children’s Memorial lists the names and ages of the 1,269 Jewish children who were deported in June 1943. There is also a crematorium, where the bodies of prisoners who died or were executed at the camp were burned.
We drive to the Execution Area who is located nearby in the woods. A memorial has been erected here that displays the names of the 329 prisoners who were executed at this site.
Late afternoon we will drive back to Amsterdam.
- Departure from Amsterdam around 9 a.m.
- Drive in approximately one and a half hour to the city s-Hertogenbosch.
- Start with a guided walking tour in s-Hertogenbosch.
- You will have a two hour free time for lunch and see the city centre.
- After a 30 minute drive you will arrive in Camp Vught National Memorial.
- Two hour visit Camp Vught National memorial including audio guide.
- Drive in one hour and a half back to Amsterdam.
- All taxes, fees and handling charges.
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan.
- Entrance and Audio tour at Camp Vught National Memorial
- Guided walking tour in s-Hertogenbosch.
- Free WIFI aboard.
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking is involved.
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Infants must sit on laps
- Please make sure you arrive well in time at the starting point. Due to traffic regulations in Amsterdam our tour buses are not allowed to stop for a long time at the starting point.
- We accept mobile vouchers; a printed voucher is not required
Heineken Experience bus stop, Stadhouderskade 78. (Wait on the side of the main entrance of the Heineken Experience, not on the water side) at 09:00AM