Step into Van Gogh’s world. Explore the world’s largest collection of works by Vincent van Gogh at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. You can see his masterpieces, but also his drawings and letters. You discover the ideas and ambitions behind his art. Van Gogh experienced life and the world intensely and wanted his art to portray the great themes of life, such as anxiety, suffering, love and hope. You follow the on-going search of an artist who was constantly trying to improve himself. In this way, you get a new view of an artist you thought you knew. This excursion will transport you on a journey through Vincent’s life, walking in his footsteps in Nuenen and visiting the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.
After a 90-120 minutes’ drive from Amsterdam your first destination will be Nuenen.
Nuenen: Van Gogh Village
Delve into the life, work of Vincent van Gogh, and visit a range of locations in Nuenen that inspired the artist, including the reformed church featured in his painting. This excursion will give you an insight into Vincent’s life in Nuenen, where he lived from December 1883 to November 1885. Vincent was very productive in this village, completing more than 500 paintings and drawings within a period of just two years. One of these was The Potato Eaters, now one of Vincent’s most famous works. During your time in Nuenen, you’ll have the change to visit the Vincentre Museum, explore some of the 23 ‘Van Gogh locations’ by bike or on foot and soak up the renowned Brabant hospitality at the numerous shops and cafes.
After exploring Vincent’s homeland, we will return to Amsterdam to visit the Van Gogh Museum.
Van Gogh Museum:
Renowned masterpieces, quotes from letters and audio fragments all unite to answer your burning questions about the artist. For example, about his numerous self-portraits. About the time, he spent in Southern France, where he painted Sunflowers and about why he painted Almond Blossom.
- Departure from Amsterdam around 9 a.m.
- Drive in approximately one hour and a half to Nuenen.
- Visit the Vincentre (incl. audio guide) and view a film charting Van Gogh’s years in Nuenen.
- Guided walking tour through Nuenen
- 2-hour free time.
- Drive in one hour back to Amsterdam.
- Around 16.00 entrance the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam
- Village walk with a guide along the Van Gogh heritage locations
- Transportation from Amsterdam to Nuenen v.v. by an 8-seater minivan
- Free WIFI aboard
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Live commentary on board
- Food and drinks
- Bike rental at Vincentre Museum
- A moderate amount of walking is involved.
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.