Visit the beautiful windmill village Zaanse Schans. Here you will experience all that is typical Dutch in just a few hours.
Windmill village Zaanse Schans
From the central meetingpoint, close to central station a short 20 minute busride will take you to the windmill village Zaanse Schans. Here you will experience all that is typical Dutch in just a few hours. You will learn about the process of cheese making, you can walk on wooden shoes, see the interior of a working windmill and see the wooden green-painted houses and shops.A professional, experienced and friendly guide will accompany you throughout the village before you get time to further explore the village on your own.
Begin your tour at our central meeting point. A comfortable, air-conditioned single deck bus will take you to today’s destination in just 20/30minutes.
The windmill village Zaanse Schans is an open air museum that houses a collection of working windmills, wooden houses, barn sand shops dating back to the 18th and 19thCentury. All these buildings were brought here from 1961 onwards bringing back to life this most prosperous period of the Zaan region.
In its golden age the Zaan Region developed into an industrial area on a scale never seen before, with 600 active windmills: wooden factories powered by wind. In these small factories many tasks were being executed with the aid of wind energy: wood sawn by machine, grinding spices, oil for food and paint, flower, cocoa powder and many other things.
The prosperity in the 18th and 19th century can be seen in the Zaanse Schans windmill villagein several ways. Alongside windmills, barns and other buildings, you will see beautiful houses that were originally built as home to rich windmill owners and merchants. These houses have attractive facades and have been painted in traditional colors such as green, beige and light blue.
At arrival in the village, your guide will take you on an orientation tour of the village. You will visit the clog museum annex wooden shoemaker shop and in the cheese farm you will get to taste Dutch farmer cheese. Then it is time to further explore the village on your own. Before you set off to discover the Zaanse Schans on your own, your guide will give you further information on the Zaanse Schans and its unique character, teach you local history and culture, and give you insider’s tips about what to do and where to go.
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Live commentary on board by Multi-lingual liveguide; English, German & Spanish
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food & Drinks
1. Till May 20th: – A’DAM tower/Lookout, Overhoeksplein 5, opposite central station
(Check-in desk inside the entrance of the A’DAM Lookout)
2. From May 20th: – THIS IS HOLLAND – Overhoeksplein 51, opposite central station. How to get here: A free shuttle ferry to Buiksloterweg runs 24/7 from Amsterdam Central Station to the north shore of the river IJ. Journey time is three minutes). Embark via the two middle pontoons. On disembarking, turn left. It’s two minutes’ walk to THIS IS HOLLAND.
– Spring 2019 – until May 19th 2019 daily at: 14:30
– Summer 2019 – From May 20th 2019 daily at: 11:30