- Instant confirmation
- You will immediately receive your vouchers in your e-mail
- Mobile vouchers are accepted
- A printed voucher is not required
- Informative, friendly and professional live guide
- Small group tour of maximum 8 persons
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Pick-up from a designated meeting point
- Heineken Experience bus stop, Stadhouderskade 78. (Wait on the side of the main entrance of the Heineken Experience, not on the water side).
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
Go back in time to the liberation of the Netherlands with us.
Have you ever wondered what life was like in the history of the Netherlands? Maybe this is the perfect opportunity to discover & learn more about the history of World War II. In this tour, you will be guided through the years of World War II and you will be able to see some of the old, historical and interesting area’s in the Netherlands where one of the most important battles and surrenders took place.
Finish your day with a canal cruise through the famous canals of Amsterdam.
Operation Market Garden was one of the largest Allied operations of the Second World War. It aimed to secure the bridges over the rivers Maas, Waal and Rhine in the Netherlands. During this full day excursion you will go through the area where the Operation Market Garden took place and you will cover a part up and down Hell’s Highway.
Once you are picked up at your local meeting point, it’s a 85 minute drive from Amsterdam to your first destination. Which will be: the Castle of Heeswijk. Brabant’s most beautiful castle is almost a thousand years old. The rich history of this powerful monument can be experienced in and around the castle. Heeswijk Castle occupies a prominent position in the Aa valley near Den Bosch, at the stunning heart of the Heeswijk Estate.
After your visit at the Castle of Heeswijk, you will go through the area where the Operation Market Garden took place and you will cover a part up and down Hell’s Highway. We’ll drive the road where the 101st Airborne Division had vanquished strategic bridges; (bridges at Son, Best, Sint-Oedenrode, Eindhoven, Eerde and Veghel). It was their objective to keep the roads between the bridges open. In this area, you will also pass by the windmill of Eerde. Did you know that this mill stood in a heavy fighting raged area? The windmill and village changed hands for at least 6 times and eventually got knocked out by artillery fire. It was destroyed on the 24th of September in 1944 during: ‘the battle of the sand dunes’).
Please note: the windmill is not open during the week, but only in the weekends.
The next stop will be restaurant the Boshuys where you will have a lunch. You can decide whether or not you will like to visit the Wings of Liberation museum.
Keep in mind this museum is not included within the price!
Wings of Liberation Museum
Go back in time to the liberation of the Netherlands: the sound of roaring fighter plane engines, heroic pilots and American paratroopers.
The Wings of Liberation Museum tell the compelling story of the liberation of the southern Netherlands at the end of Wold War II. The museum is situated in the area where, on 17 September 1944, airborne operations as part of Operation Market Garden marked the beginning of the liberation of the southern Netherlands. The timeline comprises the entire period from the occupation in 1940 and the repressions years 1940-1944, through to the liberation in the final months of 1944.
After you had a delightful lunch and/or you went to visit the Wings of Liberation museum, we will continue the tour by driving to the War museum of Overloon. The motto of this museum is: War belongs in the museum. Here you can find the history of WWII. In this museum, you can find multiple subjects being represented: How 5 million people lost their lives but also how the people oppressed people resourcefully and of course there is attention paid to the liberation. Also, if you’re interested; you can find a large military hall with 150 vehicles, boats and planes!
The last stop this tour is the Bridge Too Far in Arnhem. To make Operation Market Garden successful, the Allied forces had to claim the bridge in Arnhem. Here is the place where the British (1st British Airborne Division) fought against the German (SS-Panzer Division), however; after a long and desperate fight with many casualties, the bridge in Arnhem proved that this was really a ‘bridge too far’.
At the end of the day, you will be driven back to Amsterdam.
Back in Amsterdam, your tour guide will give you your ticket for a regular City Canal Cruise. The voucher can be redeemed at the docks of Blue Boat Company- Gray Line Amsterdam. The ticket for your City Canal Cruise is a so called ‘open ticket’. This means that no time slot has been allocated and you can board any next available boat at one of the two following docks:
- The first dock is located at Stadhouderskade 501, opposite the Hard Rock Cafe. Take tram 1, 2, 5, 11 and 12 and get off at Leidseplein. From there, the dock is a 2 minute walk.
- The second dock is located at Stadhouderskade 550, opposite Heineken Experience. Take tram 2, 5,and 12 get off at Rijksmuseum. From there, the dock is a 5 minute walk or take metro no. 52 and get off at Vijzelgracht. From there, the dock is only a 2 minute walk.
- Meet and Greet in Amsterdam and leaving for Castle Heeswijk
- Visit Castle Heeswijk
- Arriving in the area were Operation Market Garden took place
- Drive pass the Hells Highway via Eerdse Windmill, Sint Oedenrode, Son and Best.
- Lunch in the Boshuys (optional to visit the Wings of Liberation museum in Best if you don’t want to have lunch)
- Visit War museum Overloon
- Departure to Amsterdam with stop at the Bridge Too Far in Arnhem
- Back in Amsterdam
- All taxes, fees and handling charges.
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan.
- Free WIFI aboard.
- Museum Overloon entrance tickets
- City Canal Cruise by Blue Boat Company
- Gratuites (optional)
- The Wings of Liberation museum is optional
Heineken Experience bus stop, Stadhouderskade 78. (Wait on the side of the main entrance of the Heineken Experience, not on the waterside). Please make sure you arrive well in time at the starting point. Due to traffic regulations in Amsterdam, our tour buses are not allowed to stop for a long time at the starting point.