- People with walking problems are not advised to take this tour
- Instant confirmation
- You will immediately receive your vouchers in your e-mail
- Mobile vouchers are accepted
- A printed voucher is not required
- Informative, friendly and professional live guide
- English and German
- Pick-up from a designated meeting point in Amsterdam
- THIS IS HOLLAND – Overhoeksplein 51, opposite central station. Catch the 5 minute free ferry (Buiksloterweg) behind the station to get there.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
Tour the countryside and see a little slice of Dutch life with a fully guided tour from Amsterdam. Explore the famous windmills at Zaanse Schans and experience Edam’s old streets, quiet canals, and public cheese weighing house. On this half-day tour from Amsterdam, get to know clog makers in Zaanse Schans and discover how cheese is traditionally made in Holland. Finish your day with a canal cruise through the famous canals of Amsterdam.
The windmill village of Zaanse Schans
Get a break from Amsterdam with a scenic day trip on a 6,5 hour guided tour around the Dutch countryside. Start with a 20-minute drive to the windmill village of Zaanse Schans, situated on the banks of the river Zaan and home to the original 18th and 19th-century architecture, including several still functioning windmills and wooden houses. Watch live demonstrations of artisans at work, including a clog maker crafting shoes worn by hundreds of years of Dutch people. There will be some free time to explore on your own before continuing through typical polder landscapes (reclaimed land from the water).
The pearl of the former Zuiderzee
From there on, we continue to the beautiful Edam village, also called the pearl of the former Zuiderzee. Edam’s old streets and quiet canals are lined by beautiful 17th-century buildings, including the leaning Carillon tower, the Big Church, and the former town hall. The public weighing house is most famous in Edam, beyond doubt. This is where the famous Edam Cheese Market is held every year between July and August. After a stroll around this historic village, you will have the opportunity to see how Edam’s world-famous cheese is made. And, of course, to taste some cheese on a nearby cheese farm.
The beautiful seaside village of Volendam
Finally, your guide will take you on a short walk through the oldest parts of Volendam, exploring various twists and turns to sites such as St. Vincent’s Church, the wooden Stolphoevekerk, and the Fish Auction. You can also enjoy a walk on top of the Dike with a beautiful view of the IJssel lake.
Back in Amsterdam, your tour guide will give you your ticket for a regular City Canal Cruise. The Amsterdam canal cruise passes by all of Amsterdam’s famous attractions. Canal houses from the Golden Age, the Westerkerk: the Amsterdam canal cruise takes you past all of them. Sightseeing in Amsterdam couldn’t be a more relaxing experience.
The voucher can be redeemed at the docks of Blue Boat Company- Gray Line Amsterdam. The ticket for your City Canal Cruise is a so called ‘open ticket’. This means that no time slot has been allocated and you can board any next available boat at one of the two following docks:
- The first dock is located at Stadhouderskade 501, opposite the Hard Rock Cafe. Take tram 1, 2, 5, 11 and 12 and get off at Leidseplein. From there, the dock is a 2 minute walk.
- The second dock is located at Stadhouderskade 550, opposite Heineken Experience. Take tram 2, 5,and 12 get off at Rijksmuseum. From there, the dock is a 5 minute walk or take metro no. 52 and get off at Vijzelgracht. From there, the dock is only a 2 minute walk.
Please note that the order of visiting the villages may differ from the description.
- Transportation by a single-deck bus
- Milti-lingual tour guide (English and German)
- Pick-up and drop-off in central Amsterdam
- Visit a clog (wooden shoe) maker
- Tasting of a local cheese with a visit at a cheese farm
- Entrance at a working windmill
- Bottle of water and Dutch syrup waffle
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- City Canal Cruise by Blue Boat Company
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
This tour departs from De Ruijterkade 105, 1011 AB Amsterdam. Which is only a 6 minute walk from the Amsterdam Central Station. From the front of the Amsterdam Central Station (Stationsplein), turn to your left and walk in the eastern direction. Keep on walking and cross the small bridge. Walk until you reach the Doubletree By Hilton Hotel. Turn left and follow the walkway underneath the railway crossing. After this crossing, our departure point is on your right.
Know before you go
- This tour’s itinerary may vary depending on the guide on the day
- This tour involves a small amount of walking
- Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions
- A multi-lingual guide may operate it (German and English)
- This tour will have a maximum of 60 travelers
- Children up to and including 3 years old are free of charge (not occupying a seat)
- We run this tour no matter the weather