- People with walking problems are not advised to take this tour
- Instant confirmation
- You will immediately receive your vouchers in your e-mail
- Mobile vouchers are accepted
- A printed voucher is not required
- Informative, friendly and professional live guide
- English, Dutch and Spanish
- Pick-up from a designated meeting point in Amsterdam
- Pick-up from Heineken Experience bus stop or THIS IS HOLLAND
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
From the churning windmills in the Zaanse Schans to the cheese weighing house in Edam and Volendam village, this tour highlights everything typical Dutch. See the beautiful landscapes of North Holland and explore the traditional fishing village of Volendam on a 5 1/2 -hour guided tour from Amsterdam. Learn about clog making in the wooden shoe shop and try some tasteful cheese in one of the Dutch cheese farms.
Finish your day with a canal cruise through the famous canals of Amsterdam.
Escape the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam on a half-day guided tour of the Dutch countryside, starting with a 20-minute drive to the windmill village of Zaanse Schans. This outdoor conservation area is situated on the banks of the River Zaan and is home to the original 18th and 19th century architecture, including several still functioning windmills & wooden houses.
Watch live demonstrations of craftsmen at work, including a clog maker crafting the famous wooden shoes of the Netherlands. There will be some free time to explore the village and a visit a windmill on your own, before travelling through the typical Polder-landscapes (reclaimed land from the water).
From there we continue to visit the beautiful village of Edam, also commonly referred to as the pearl of the former Zuiderzee. Edam’s ancient streets and tranquil canals are lined by beautiful 17th century buildings, including the leaning Carillon tower, the Big Church, and former town hall. Most famous in Edam beyond any doubt is the public weighing house, where every year in July and August still every Wednesday morning the famous Edam Cheese Market is held.
After a stroll around this historic village, you will have the opportunity to see how Edam’s world-famous cheese is made. And, of course, to taste some cheese in a nearby cheese farm.
Finally, we will stop in the beautiful seaside village of Volendam. This typical fishing village with its bustling harbour has been a major tourist attraction as early as 1875. People come from all over the world to see the small and houses and learn about the locals with their traditions and traditional Dutch costumes. Your guide will take you on a short walk through the oldest parts of the village, exploring a labyrinth of twists and turns to sites such as St. Vincent’s Church, the wooden Stolphoevekerk and the vis afslag (Fish Auction). You can also enjoy a walk on top of the Dike with a beautiful view of the IJssel-lake.
Back in Amsterdam, your tour guide will give you your ticket for a regular City Canal Cruise. The voucher can be redeemed at the docks of Blue Boat Company- Gray Line Amsterdam. The ticket for your City Canal Cruise is a so called ‘open ticket’. This means that no time slot has been allocated and you can board any next available boat at one of the two following docks:
- The first dock is located at Stadhouderskade 501, opposite the Hard Rock Cafe. Take tram 1, 2, 5, 11 and 12 and get off at Leidseplein. From there, the dock is a 2 minute walk.
- The second dock is located at Stadhouderskade 550, opposite Heineken Experience. Take tram 2, 5,and 12 get off at Rijksmuseum. From there, the dock is a 5 minute walk or take metro no. 52 and get off at Vijzelgracht. From there, the dock is only a 2 minute walk.
Please note that the order of visiting the villages may differ from the description.
- Drive in 30 minutes to Edam
- Walk during 40 minutes with your guide through this wonderful small city.
- Drive in 15 minutes to Cheese farm Alida Hoeve.
- See how cheese is made and taste more then 25 different types of Gouda Cheese.
- Drive in 10 minutes to the fishing village of Volendam.
- Walk for 20 minutes together with your guide.
- Discover the village during some free time own your own.
- Drive in 30 minutes to Zaanse Schans.
- Walk together with your guide and listen to the interesting facts of the village.
- Join the wooden shoe demonstration in the wooden shoe factory.
- Discover the village on your own during free time.
- Drive in 20 minutes back to Amsterdam.
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Transport by air-conditioned coach
- Live commentary on board
- City Canal Cruise by Blue Boat Company
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Heineken Experience bus stop, Stadhouderskade 78. Wait on the side of the main entrance of the Heineken Experience, not on the water side.
- THIS IS HOLLAND, Overhoeksplein 51, opposite central station. How to get here: A free shuttle ferry to Buiksloterweg runs 24/7 from Amsterdam Central Station to the north shore of the river IJ. Journey time is three minutes. Embark via the two middle pontoons. On disembarking, turn left. It’s two minutes’ walk to THIS IS HOLLAND.
Please make sure you arrive well on time at your chosen starting point. Due to traffic regulations in Amsterdam our tour busses are not allowed to stop for a long time at the starting points. Please note: the return location of this tour is THIS IS HOLLAND, behind Amsterdam central station. No drop-off at the Heineken Experience).